What is perfect?

8:33 AM

Therefore you shall be perfect: just as your Father in heaven is perfect.
Matthew 5:48

What does this mean? I came across this verse in a book excerpt I was reading called A Mothers Rule. By Holly Pierlot. You can read the excerpt here. I came upon this book through a friends blog and enjoyed reading the excerpt and the ideas behind it. I don't plan on buying the book but it got me thinking on some ideas on being called to be perfect and holy.

What exactly does it mean to be perfect?
We obviously know we can never achieve this on our own....so why does God call us to this?

To grow us closer to Him who is perfect and holy. Holly says the definition of perfection is union with God. Living out His commands on a daily basis....loving God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength and loving my neighbor as myself all for Gods sake

"To seek perfection in this life is really to seek union with God through love."

"Holiness is the perfection of Gods love within us"

but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct because it is written, "Be holy, for I am holy". 1 Peter 1:15-16

I have decided to study this more in depth and will be looking at what Peter has to say about being holy. He says there are 7 things we can do to be holy.

Verse 13 tells us to prepare our minds for action
  • read His word
  • be ready to share it
be self controlled
  • we can not control ourselves. Gal. 5:22 tells us that this is a fruit of the holy spirit. We need God to do this
set your hope
  • this is a living hope a heavenly hope
  • if my real hope is in Christ it should shine through in every area of my life
O Lord that my hope would be only in you and not of the things in this world, that I would thirst for your wisdom and you would control my actions, thoughts and words....

May you be blessed today!






Photobucket

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram