Reflections on Joy

7:21 AM

Well I finished Sally's book Dancing with my Father and I wanted to share some things I learned from it.

This was a timely read for me as I am dealing with my Dads cancer and the struggle my parents go through every day and I am wondering at times what the purpose is for all this pain and despair. Sally talks about finding joy in the midst of trials....

The key to joy in the midst of trials is in knowing and believing that God is always good. Always.
(Wow.....do I really believe that in my heart?)
I must remember and chose to believe that He is working even when I can't see Him; that this test is the work of my life, my opportunity to have a testimony or a story of His faithfulness.
(so every minute, every second even, I need to be turning my heart towards praise, thanksgiving and rest....knowing that God is there working everything together to make me more like Him)

Worrying and fretting only squeeze out joy........I can't live in both worlds at once. I need to chose the peace of Christ or the worry of the world......

Belief is the antidote for a troubled heart.......believe in Him, that He is with me, that He is good and will take care of me.

There was so much in this book that spoke to my heart. Finding joy in suffering is not easy. But this is the kind of faith that pleases God. I need to really believe Rev. 21:4-5.....there will be no more tears, pain, sorrow, all former things will pass away!!

Joy is a choice of my heart. I need to guard my heart against this world and the enemy who would have me doubt my King. I am finding that this is a moment by moment choice that I need to make.....but I am finding the more time I spend with him in His word, the more prepared I am to do battle and protect my heart. The more I model myself after Jesus being humble and gentle....the easier it is to have this joy overflowing in my heart.

This is a book I know I will come back to and read once a year....it's a good reminder on where to find our true joy!!


Watch over your heart with all diligence,
for from it flow the springs of life.
Proverbs 4:23

Photobucket

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram