Communication101

7:13 AM

Our ladies bible study touched on communication for the past 2 weeks and how powerful our words as Moms are.
God has given us our words.....he gave them to us to worship Him. Every word that comes out of our mouths should be worship to him.....Wow! That was just huge to me and convicting!! Do all my words worship Him?
Our words should be so surrendered to Jesus that anyone listening to me is touched by Jesus. My words should bring healing....but can so easily bring devastation...how I communicate should be effective, gentle,and in an edifying and Godly manner.

But avoid foolish disputes, genealogies, contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and useless. Titus 3:9

So much of my speech is unprofitable and useless.....

If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this ones religion is useless. James 1:26

My religion will be useless if I can not control my tongue....in other words my relationship with Christ will not be effective if I don't bridle my tongue....

All of my communication needs to be filtered through the holy spirit. Will this be easy? No!! It is something I need to work on continually

For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body. Indeed we put bits in horse's mouths that they may obey us and we turn their whole body. Look also at ships although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires. Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things.
See how great a forest a little fire kindles! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell......But no man can tame the tongue. It is unruly evil, full of deadly poison. James 3:2-8

God tells us it is hard to control our tongues but with the holy spirits help we can do it!!

Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by who you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:29-32

Our words are so powerful and can either build up or tear down those we speak too.

And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus; giving thanks to God the father through Him. Colossians 3:17

Everything we say or do should bring glory to God...every word. I need to clamp my tongue and not let anything come out until I have filtered it through the Holy Spirit.

In Matthew 12 33-37 it tells us a tree is known by its fruit.
for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks
our hearts must change for our words to change. Our hearts and tongues are connected....

It is not easy to change!! But if we desire it God will help us and we can have abundant life....abundant speech through Him!!

change=pain=growth=blessings=abundant life!!

Idle words are useless and bring no glory to God. Others should be able to see my good fruits by the words of my mouth.
Have good treasure in our hearts at it will over flow out of our mouths! We do this by hiding His word in our hearts!! This is so important!! Memorizing His word will change our hearts!!

Now let's take all these thoughts into our homes.....
As Moms we have power. Power to speak into our children and spouses words that will transform their lives. I am responsible to see that those words are encouraging and positive .
Another point is that we can not take back our words ......we must think and filter every word through the Holy Spirit.
It is said that for every positive thing you say 10 negative things have already been said. How sad that it is easier for us to be quick to criticize then quick to encourage.....

As a Mom it is so easy to fall into the habit of always correcting, always seeing what is wrong in our child. We are the ones guiding and shaping them so we are looking to catch them and point them in the right direction. But God says we are to be positive and encouraging and always gentle and edifying to Him in our speech.

So I am purposing to turn my speech around to catch my kids when they do something good. To show them the grace that Christ shows me.

Brian and I are praying and making a list for each child of the fruits God wants to see in this childs life. What character traits need work? What fruit do we want to see? And instead of badgering and correcting we are going to start catching this child when they are showing that trait.
Because the things that we speak into our children are what they become.....they will grow into these traits and fruits that we communicate to them. We need to encourage them in these areas with grace and gentleness and be positive about it. Be passionate and sincere about it.
Will this take time? Yes!!! With 7 kids that's 35 positive things to catch them in a day.....
Is it worth it? Yes!!! Because I have the power to raise these children for Christ and this is how He would have us do it. With gentleness and kindness and a bridle on my tongue.

The speaker at our bible study said that when we speak to someone we need to leave them with Jesus. Yes, leave them with Jesus.....so bridle our tongue and our opinions and our comments and let Jesus speak through you and use you......let others see and hear Jesus in you.

This is my memory verse this week.....

Let the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in Your sight,
O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer.
Psalm 19:14


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram